1. Getting Started¶
1.1. What is ELMO?¶
ELMO is The Carter Center’s open-source ELection MOnitoring data collection and reporting system, built specifically with election monitoring in mind. Equipped with ELMO, observers can submit evaluations of a process – via tablets (utilizing Open Data Kit), SMS, or directly online – in real-time to field or mission headquarters. ELMO’s reporting system organizes observer findings, and is relied upon by The Carter Center missions around the globe to analyze data and to assess elections as well as broader political processes.
The open source license for ELMO is Apache 2.0. ELMO can be hosted on personal servers and users can control who has access to the data.
1.2. System Requirements¶
ELMO Development Setup
1.3. Viewing the Header¶
The header is the top section of the screen. Here are its components:
- The Home icon. Click this to return to the home page of the selected field project or mission.
- The mission selection box. Click this to display all missions that can be accessed by the user. Click on a mission to go to its home page, or click the box again to hide the list.
- The Admin Mode icon (Admins only). Click this to enter Admin Mode. The header in this mode looks different, but the function of each icon is the same. There are only two new icons, the functions of which will be discussed later.
- The edit profile icon. The icon shows your username and role. Click this to edit your profile.
- The Logout icon. Click this to log out of ELMO.
- The Submit menu. Click this to display a list of all published forms within the current mission. Click a form to fill it out and submit it, or click the menu again to hide the list.
- The Responses menu. Click this to go to the Responses page, which shows all responses that have been submitted to all forms within the mission.
- The Reports menu. Click this to go to the Reports page, where you can generate reports and see all of the reports that have already been generated within the mission.
- The Forms menu. Click this to go to the Forms page, where you can create and import forms and see all of the forms that have already been created in or imported to the mission.
- The Questions menu. Click this to go to the Questions page, where you can create and import questions and see all of the questions that have already been created in or imported to the mission.
- The Option Sets menu. Click this to go to the Option Sets page, where you can create or import option sets and see all of the reports that have already been created in or imported to the mission.
- The Users menu. Click this to go to the Users page, where you
- Create new users.
- See information on all users that have already been created.
- Export user information as a vCard.
- Send a broadcast to one or more users.
- The Broadcasts menu. Click this to go to the Broadcasts page, where you can send a broadcast to users and view broadcasts that have already been sent.
- The SMS menu. Click this to view all SMSes that have been sent and received by ELMO.
- The Settings menu. Click this to view and change your personal settings.
This is the version that Admins will see in Admin Mode:
There are only two new components:
- The Exit Admin Mode icon. Click this to exit admin mode.
- The Missions menu. Click this to go to the Missions page, where you can create a new mission and see all missions that have already been created.
1.5. Viewing the Dashboard¶
The first visible screen when logged into ELMO is the Dashboard. This feature gives an overview of data gathered from responses to forms. Visible on the Dashboard screen are:
Recent form responses
An overview of geographic data submitted with responses
An overview of all form submissions
All reports created in the mission
Note: The report with the most views will appear at the initial Dashboard screen